Counseling Mission Statement
This mission of Ascent Academies of Utah counseling program is to provide a comprehensive developmental counseling program that ensure every student achieves an enriched individualized learning environment in the areas of academic, career, and personal/social development through the support of students, family, school and community.
Counseling Belief Statements
- Students learn best when they are engaged in activities that expand their interest and build on their individual talents.
- Each student has his or her own unique profile of gifts and talents that help them succeed.
- Parent involvement in identifying student interests and supporting the school community is vital to a successful learning environment.
- Multiple campuses with similar programs enhance student outreach, special education programs, effectiveness of high-quality teachers, teacher and director professional development, and peer interaction through technology (for both students and staff).
- The school counseling program is an integral part of helping students develop and foster their individualized learning plan.
- The school counseling program helps build a positive school environment by encouraging collaboration among counselors, teachers, administrators, parents and the community to further student achievement.
- The comprehensive school counseling program is continuously refined and improved through systematic review and evaluation of data.
Our School Counseling Program:
- Reaches every student
- Is comprehensive in scope
- Is preventative in design
- Is an integral part of Ascent’s mission to build a strong educational foundation and to provide an enriching, individualized and varied educational experience to all students.
- Selects measurable student competencies based on local need in the academic/learning, life/career, multicultural/global citizen, and personal/social domains.
- Has a delivery system that included school guidance curriculum, individual student planning, responsive services, and system support.
- Is implemented by licensed school counselors
- Is conducted in collaboration with all stakeholders, who in turn receive information on shared success
- Uses data to drive program decision, monitor student progress, and seek improvement each year based on results.
Additional information on the role of the counselor and counseling resources are below:
afsp.org (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)